Royal Cornwall Hospital
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
Treliske, Truro, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom
Peninsula Medical School
Yes Accident & Emergency
Royal Cornwall Hosptial Treliske:
Trelawny Wing officially opened in 1998.
Princess Alexandra officially opened in 1968.
Truro City Hospital (Royal Cornwall Infirmary) 1799-1999.
Hospitals in England
Former Truro City Hospital (Royal Cornwall Infirmary) in 1987
Coordinates: 50°16′00″N 5°05′30″W / 50.2667°N 05.0916°W / 50.2667; -05.0916 The Royal Cornwall Hospital, formerly and still commonly known as Treliske Hospital, is a medium-sized teaching hospital in Treliske, on the outskirts of Truro, Cornwall, England. The hospital is used for clinical training of medical students from the Peninsula Medical School, which is maintained by the University of Plymouth and the University of Exeter.
The Royal Cornwall Hospital is one of three main hospitals operated by the Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust, the others being St Michael’s Hospital, Hayle and West Cornwall Hospital, Penzance.
2 Trelawny Wing
3 Public record
4 See also
6 External links
On 12 August 1799, the Royal Cornwall Infirmary opened in Truro paid for by George IV. It was the first of its kind in Cornwall and was designed to service the mining community. Initially holding 20 beds, the infirmary was expanded to include 180 beds in 1939. After the formation of the NHS, a new hospital was built at Treliske, including 180 beds and 6 wards, and was opened by Princess Alexandra on 12 July 1968. The hospital expanded to include 650 beds in 1999, and then served 110,000 patients each year, with services transferred from the old infirmary after 1992. The infirmary closed down in 1999, and has since been redeveloped with housing and a health centre.
The Royal Cornwall Hospital is currently a 750-bed hospital. It has a maternity ward named the Princess Alexandra wing, after the princess who opened the hospital. David Cameron’s younger daughter was born in the maternity unit while the couple were on holiday in Cornwall in 2010.
The £27 million Trelawny Wing was officially opened in 1998. It rem